UNDER CONSTRUCTIONThis document is under construction and in a draft stage, please use with care!
Welcome to the guidelines of the metadata service EUDAT-B2FIND for data providers. These guidelines are intended to provide information about the requirements for successful integration in B2FIND.
The target readership for this document are research data providers and repository managers who intend to publish their metadata in EUDAT-B2FIND.
EUDAT-B2FIND gathers together diverse metadata related to research output of many heterogeneous sources, with the aim of providing a unified discovery portal allowing widespread and cross-disciplinary search and access to the underlying data collections.
The B2FIND guidelines provide instructions to be followed and policies to be fulfilled during the establishment of the associated ingestion workflow.
EUDAT propagates 'best practices' which follow the so called FAIR principles. We refer here to the paper Guidelines on FAIR Data Management in Horizon 2020 . Amongst other principles, the concordat promotes
- the availability of data supporting scholarly publications,
- the use of data repositories,
- the value of data curation to enable data access and reuse,
- support for developing researchers’ data skills,
- cultural norms of academia that ensure individuals can gain credit for data sharing.
To the extend that these principles affect metadata we address them in the following sections.
In general great importance is lied to provide a low-barrier approach to allow easy integration in B2FIND.
The guidelines are divided in three thematic paragraphs :
- The first section addresses the policies for Providing Metadata for EUDAT-B2FIND, e.g. policies about the structure and availability of the provided metadata.
- The subsequent section focuses on the Harvesting of Metadata by B2FIND.
- And finally we investigate the Mapping onto the common B2FIND Schema and gave some recommendations how metadata quality can be improved or asured during this process.
The B2FIND metadata ingestion workflow is schematically shown in the following figure.
Beside the first (MD Generation) and last (MD Uploading) step, the sub processes ‘MD Providing’, ‘MD Harvesting’ and ‘MD Mapping’ correspond to the paragraphs of the guidelines.
While we don't go in the technical details, we refer
- data managers who are interested in the step by step implementation of the whole MD ingestion workflow to the B2FIND-Training and
- developers who are interested in the underlying software and the sourcecode to the github repository EUDAT-B2FIND . .
- 1.0 August 2017 - Initial publication on the productive B2FIND instance
- 0.3 June 2017 - Initial publication on the training instance .
- 0.2. May 2017 - Reviewed version and first draft for web pages
- 0.1 February 2017 - Initial internal reviewed document
- 0.0.2 January 2017 - added changes and proposels - still working paper
- 0.0.1 December 2017 - Early draft, B2FIND team.
- Juha Hakala, NLF
- Heinke Höck, DKRZ
- Mikael Karlsson, CSC
- Michael Kurtz, DKRZ
- Hannes Thiemann, DKRZ
- Heinrich Widmann, DKRZ